View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Evenstar

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I have received many similar requests. Can anyone make a good case why this train wreck known as the Speed Limit Forum should be kept open? This issue is settled for now. No amount of bickering will change that. It is beyond me what the members who continue to bicker and attack each other endlessly here think they are accomplishing. I'll be honest, the way some of you on both sides have abused this forum is disgusting and discouraging.
The speed limit is one of the most important issues for many boaters on winni. It will continue to be an issue – especially after it is put into effect next year and even more so as the 2-year sunset clause approaches. I personally believe that it is an issue that forum members be allowed to discuss. If a separate forum is not dedicated to it, then there will be all sorts of posts made in the boating forum. A separate forum allows those who are interested in the speed limit discussion to participate, while not subjecting other members from having to wade through speed limit posts in the boating forum.

I return to my university in just over a week, where I am a senior, trying to complete two majors, while being a year-round varsity athlete. So I won’t have much time to post anyway – so closinging this forum will not affect me all that much. Yet I still believe that this forum should remain open for those who want to discuss the speed limit.

On the other hand, I have been very hurt by some of the personal attacks made on me here. But I have also received many supportive pm’s from other members here, thanking me for standing up for the paddlers. So I don’t feel like I can’t just walk away and stop standing up for my views. So, personally (in a selfish way) I’m for closing this forum, since that would end most of the personal attacks on me.

Quote:
The result is that the entire Winnipesaukee Forum, created to provide a friendly and helpful place to get Lake information, has been poisoned. The nastiness is now spreading to other areas of the forum. Almost no thread escapes as questions and comments are picked apart, criticised and hijacked. When I try to control it I am criticised and attacked.
I run a very small international gaming forum, so I do understand (on a much smaller scale) what you are dealing with – I'm well aware that there’s no pleasing everyone. What helps my sanity is that I have two excellent moderators who enforce my forum rules when I'm not there. And the rules are very well enforced – personal attacks and trolling are never allowed on my forum.

One possible suggestion might be to have the speed limit forum only viewable by registered members – and perhaps have a moderator or two (preferably one from each side) to help you maintain a civil debate that is free from all the personal attacks.

Whatever your dicision, I want to thank you for putting up with us - and for letting us have this disussion for so long.

~ Arwen ~