View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 06:42 AM   #15
ApS

Red face So, Who's Wilma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle54 View Post
I'm looking for the correct name, info or photos of the marina that used to exist in Winter Harbor/Tuftonboro where the Winmiir condos now are. I understand the marina existed there until the early '80s. I've heard people mention that it was called Winnipesaukee Marina but I've not been able to find any info or reference to that. Any help would be appreciated!
Pictured below, proof-positive that the correct name was "Winnipesaukee Motor Craft Co."

We converted this paddle-powered boat to a sailing canoe—later adding a small outboard as auxiliary power—no registration back then.

That was a great little outboard, the bracket allowed it to hang off the side of the canoe—a quiet little two-cylinder engine, maybe the 6-HP I still have—likely a Johnson, IIRC. Idling slowly along, almost silent, I rested my elbow on it to assure myself that it was actually running!

To settle a debt, I gave the canoe to my Dad, who gave it to a confused cousin downstate, who sold it again.

It is said that I save everything, which must not be far off. But doesn't everyone save receipts that are 60 years old?

Winter Harbor's locals preferred that business—with its gas pumps—to the Winmiir Condominiums, who elbowed their different style of "warehouses" into that corner of Winter Harbor.