View Single Post
Old 05-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #46
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Political, no. I could care less about one's political view.

Phil Robertson is a religious nut.

Anyone is free to believe whatever they want, so I am free to say that Phil Robertson is a religious nut. His own words prove that.

Let's keep it lake related, he's a loon.
So it is safe to say that Robertson meets your criteria to be called/labeled a "nut"!

Now not many folks are going to go up in arms about your use of that word to label someone, mostly because it is currently socially OK to use that word to describe a person.

I wonder what types of words used to describe certain people, were socially accepted when these old men where in their younger years? I know what kind of language my grandfather (born 1922) and great-grandmother (born 1906) used to describe folks of color or different orientation. I never considered them racist, they didn't spout those terms in hate, just as a description, with no interest in understanding or acceptance. My parents never talked like that and good people were regarded as good people, irregardless of their beliefs, orientation or color. Those that you did not agree with or have interest in were left to their own. We were not in a position to judge their beliefs or choices! Focus on you and what makes you happy, not what makes you popular or "better"! Not everyone grew up with parents like that and for that I consider myself lucky.

Their's was a very different time than today. If this thread teaches anything, it should be that no one's personal opinion is free from judgment and is only one generation away from being deemed socially repulsive!

I just hope that my kids are allowed to have an opinion, let alone voice it anywhere, when they reach their 30's!