View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 04:16 AM   #120
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Property investment-wise, we've done well. We bought here for long-held sentimental reasons (Melvin grandparents), and wouldn't think of selling--or trying to make a business out of it. Each to his own...

Rentals aren't the panacea to paying, what?, $35,000 in property taxes. Deductions aren't what they were in 2015.

Considering the roadway, is it a quiet dead-end road? Dirt roads can be dusty--a consideration if you're downwind from the prevailing breeze. Ask around. My last realtor was a serious fisherman, and got the prevailing winds question correct. Construction can tear up a roadway for three years for each built "mansion".

Sunrises here are commendable, if you're up to see them!
I wouldn’t know about discounts. I’ve never been a landlord and possibly never will. I guess you have. I’ve never treated it as a business or investment. Biggest issue with renting is liability and insurance in my book. Especially around water.

Road is paved. I know about dust. Been on this lake for 34 years. My wife has been on it since she was born, as well as her mother since she was born.

I might sell off half the property with the big house and replace the cottages with a custom home. Not sure what we will do, lots of options.

Gotta pay the taxes whether I rent or not. And they are $18k. ~$2k more than I was paying.

This property just so happens to be renting and have lots of options.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote