View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 04:58 AM   #27
MikeF-NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
. I’ll bet lots of fish are killed in the “culling” process...
Just a quick correction...culling is illegal in NH. Derby participants found with live fish are disqualified from the derby. The people running the derby have also done a great job of communicating to fishermen on the water what is on the board so fisherman aren't bringing in 20" fish when the bottom of the board might be at 21. This on top of the fact that the derby is a fraction of the size it was 10 years ago means its impact is very minor compared to fish kept on average weekends. I support guides but most send their clients home with limits of fish...a season on a guide boat probably kills more fish than both derbies put together (also note that the winter derby does not target salmon as they are illegal to take through the ice).

My point is perhap there was reason to bash the derby years ago (perhaps) but the information that led people to that conclusion is not outdated. The bashers should feel good though...the derby appears to be in a tail spin for attracting sponsors and fishermen. I don't imagine it will last another 5 years.

Salmon populations (IMHO) are mostly impacted by availability of smelt and the size of the fish when stocked (small fish become food for bigger fish). I've noticed (and talked to others who have noticed also) that there just aren't many 1-2 year class fish being caught. These are sub-legal sized fish so them not being there has nothing to do with fisherman and more to the two factors above. Those two missing year classes will have a huge impact to the negative side on the fishery over the next five years. Please keep that in mind if you are keeping the 3 and 4 year olds...they are all we got.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post: