View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 06:19 AM   #22
ApS

Arrow Meredith's NWZs Aren't THE Problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I think the issue here is monster of their own creation... the existing NWZ is so long that people wait until the last minute to slow down when entering and speed up as soon as possible when exiting. This is causing some big waves right at the NWZ line. Adding on a few hundred feet of NWZ just moves the problem a few hundred feet more up Meredith Bay. Then those folks further up will start to squawk! A few more buoys down the existing NWZ line and some better enforcement is all that is needed. Or shorten the existing NWZ.

Woodsy
That "monster" is actually the growing number of "over-sized" boats. You may recall that ten years ago, I called for a doubling in registration fees—and doubling them again—for boats over 24-feet long.

Huge wakes are being produced all over the lake—even Winter Harbor is suffering, as it has become a mecca for every type of boating.

This is especially true of recent years, as Johnson's Cove has become jammed with huge (and illegally spaced) rafters: most of whom "mush" their way past eroding shorelines to their rafter's safe haven.

Below is a wake recorded that, while it was not the biggest we've witnessed, is still one of concern to those who want their lakeshores to avoid ending up filling the lake with fertilizer, road salt, dirt, loam, forest duff, moss, and (worse) silt. Shoreline moss is not supposed to appear floating on the surface of the lake—but it does!

I calculate this particular wake at 46-inches—something we never see when thunderstorms storms hit directly upon our shoreline.

Your attention to the "wet part" is requested.

Surface areas of our 35-year-old dock are now so covered with wet, slippery, algae, that they've become hazardous.

The problem here is mostly "over-sized" boats seeking haven from their own hazardous local waters.

This photo-disguised boat (below) is not the largest one we saw this weekend towing tubes, but it should give pause to those who think "over-sized" boats are free of this recent anathema to peaceable boaters and shorelines.
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 08-31-2016 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Attachment failed to appear...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote