View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #64
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting View Post
And remove the "Live Free or Die" !!!

I cannot believe some of the posts in this thread where the poster is willing to take "Free Speech, Redress of Government and others" away from a person just because they are a nut job and a thorn in the sides of some.

Here is a man who was RECOGNIZED by the board of selectmen to speak and as soon as he made a statement they, the Board, did not like they shut him down and cut his time off through "USE of FORCE." Are you kidding me!! And some of the posters on this board are OK with this?

I live in a small town that has Selectmen and is run by town meetings. We also have folks who seem to be on the nutty side. But NEVER has the board shut them down for expressing their opinion even if calling for the board to resign. But yes we have had folks removed from select and town meeting for getting unruly. That is defined as using foul language, issuing threats, or refusing to end their talk when time has expired.

I have read the town rules and watched the video and at NO time did the speaker violate the rules or the Constitution. The only violation I saw was the Selectmen violate the speakers right to free speech and redress of the Government.

Every single citizen of the town should come to the defense of Mr. Clay, not because they agree with him and his positions but because if the board can shut him down they may be next.

Do not take you rights lightly and defend those rights for every person regardless if you agree with them or not, but just because they are using your rights as well as theirs. If he looses his rights then you WILL loose yours.

ToW
I think there is one thing missing in your analysis as to why Mr. Clay was told to be quiet and get up from the table and either leave the room or sit in the audience.
The BOS took a legal and binding vote that accused Mr. Clay of using defamatory language against the board. Therefore it was not up to Mr. Clay to decide as to whether the board was right, or wrong. The chair made a motion and the board approved it. From that point on the board took the necessary action to have Clay removed and that did happen.
We can all give our opinion as to whether Clay’s right to free speech was violated, but now it is going to be up to the court/s to decide what the outcome will be.

So, all that being said, neither you nor I can say who has violated any laws, it will be up to the court/s to decide.