View Single Post
Old 04-10-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default A Weirs Souvenir - 1880s-1940s - Part 2

The first part of this thread can be seen OVER HERE

In response to APS's request to keep the threads shorter for ease in downloading, I have 'depopulated" the end of the last thread and stored it over here.

ACCOMMODATIONS
The AQUEDOKTAN

"The Aquedoktan, later known as The Eden Roc, became popular gathering spot for Weirs area businessmen as well as bands that played at Irwin's Winnipesaukee Gardens, including Duke Ellington, Lionel Hampton and Count Basie. The bands stayed right there and would often close the bar on Tuesday nights and be there when it reopened on Wednesday,” recalls Lawton."
CLICK HERE for a history of the Aquedoctan

The SAINT JAMES & GOOD LUCK HOUSE

The PLEASANT VIEW

The LAKESIDE HOUSE

postmark 1911. The Lakeside House was built to handle ever increasing crowds due to the popularity of the church camp meetings and veteran's homes.

Postmark 1919. Weirs Beach - Winnipesaukee Marketplace - The Winnipesaukee Marketplace dates back to the 1880's when it used to be the Lakeside House. It is said to be haunted! Employee's and tourists who have stayed in there as well as locals have said they have felt cold spots, intense energy fields, it feels as though you're not alone. On a good night especially on a full moon you can see a hanged man in the middle window on the top floor. Assumed suicide or was it? Also there is a woman who is the former owner of the place she only appears and talks to certain people. I have seen both woman and man and the man is very distinguished in features I only have seen his face briefly. Dark cold eyes as if mad at the world. He is the one who does most of the ghostly activities such as throwing light cover utensils, objects get misplaced, and lights have been seen on in building when no one has been near it.

CLICK HERE for a photo of the Lakeside House today. Now the Winnipesaukee Marketplace.

Lakeside House - 1961

The LOOKOUT and LAKEVIEW HOUSE

The WINNECOETTE

The Winnecoette has been previously known as the Shangri-La and later as Brickyard Mountain Condos. More recently it is being developed into Akwa Soleil - an exclusive development of homes, marina and golf course.

You can see how additions have been built around the old Winnecoette

View from the Winnecoette - Note the back of the Hotel Weirs - Postmark 1913
CLICK HERE for more on Akwa Soleil.

The ENDICOTT HOUSE

STORY'S TAVERN

Last edited by mcdude; 05-01-2005 at 10:57 AM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote