View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 03:42 PM   #1
SailinAway

Default Tires: Good Year Reliant or General Altimax RT43

I need new tires for my Chevy Sonic, size P205/55R16.

The OEM tire is the Goodyear Eagle RS-A, which I have on the car now. They have no mileage rating or warranty, so I'm not considering them. I have no idea about their longevity because the dealer installed them backwards and they failed after 20,000 miles. Apparently owners report getting 40,000 miles. They're $91 at Walmart.

I had the General Altimax RT43 on a previous car and liked them. They have very good professional reviews. 75,000 miles. $129 at Walmart plus installation. (4 x 29 = $516)

The Walmart Goodyear Viva 3 has been replaced by the Reliant, which is supposed to be a better tire. It's hard to find comprehensive or comparison reviews since it's a Walmart-only tire, but the reviews I could find seemed positive. (Very often some people say a tire is noisy and others say it's quiet, so I don't focus too much on that even though I think it's important). 65,000 miles. $83 plus installation. 4 x 83 = $332

Regarding snow performance, I don't need to go out until after the roads have been plowed, so while important, I think merely "adequate" snow performance should be OK.

(1) For financial reasons I'm inclined to go with the Goodyear Reliant. Sound OK?

(2) I would buy them at the Plymouth Walmart rather than my local Tilton. Anyone have recent tire installation experience at the Plymouth Walmart?

(3) Should I pay extra for the road hazard warranty? I've had it in the past but have never used it. I've only ever had one flat tire in my life due to a "road hazard" (nail). A garage fixed it for $10.

My budget is limited so we can skip the Michelins. A high mileage warranty is unnecessary because the car has 90,000 miles and I'm unlikely to keep it for another 60,000 miles.

Thanks for your opinion!
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote