Thread: Scenic Drives
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 08:43 AM   #19
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
One of the prettiest areas of New Hampshire is route 16 from Berlin to Errol through Thirteen-Mile Woods along the Androscoggin River. From Errol (stop at LL Cote outdoor store) you can take route 26 west to Dixville Notch. I have this itinerary in my notes:

"Gorham Rt. 16 through Milan and the beautiful Thirteen Mile Woods to Errol, where you'll turn west on Rt. 26 through Dixville Notch, past the famous Balsams Resort, to Colebrook; this stretch is curvaceous and spectacularly scenic.

"At Colebrook, turn south on Rt. 3 and stop at the Shrine of our Lady of Grace; then continue, following the winding Connecticut River.

"In Groveton, turn east on Rt. 110 to Stark, famous for its picture-perfect covered bridge, and back to Berlin."

Also: Beaver Brook Falls Wayside, 2.4 miles north of Colebrook on Rte 145. The 110' falls are worth seeing. There's a picnic area with short walking paths tp the falls.

Another alternative for the return trip from Dixville Notch is route 26 east through Grafton Notch.

I normally go kayaking and camping for several days in this area, but one beautiful fall day I did the whole tour in one day and really enjoyed it. This is an outdoor tour with few restaurants along the way, so take ample food.
I drive the Rt 16 stretch from Berlin/Milan/Errol to Oquossoc Maine a lot. Beautiful ride along the river.
thanks