Thread: Money matters ?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #36
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

My wife and I just went to a social security seminar last night. They are always trying to sell you their services at these seminars but there was no pressured sales pitch at this one. I did pick up some very good points so it was well worth the $18 and 2-1/2 hours spent. My wife is turning 62 and I'm turning 63 in a few weeks. We are both planning on retiring at 65 when our Medicare kicks in. One tip that I feel works well for us is for me to postpone taking my social security until 70 and use my IRA, my wife's 401K, plus her social security money to support our retirement years from 65 to 70 even if it means drawing down those funds. This way I maximize my social security check and if I pass on before her she still gets my maximum survivors benefit. It also lessons my tax bill as my minimum required distributions will be less after 70 1/2. Obviously you need a substantial retirement account to do this but it will work well for us. As far as investments are concerned, he just recomended that this is a time to take some profits and be conservative.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post: