View Single Post
Old 11-08-2022, 06:29 PM   #13
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
baygo - if you re-read the initial post in this thread you will see that the poster is not looking for a ski instructor from "the mountain", but rather a private instructor (not necessarily with credentials) and this person would probably not enjoy the same protections as a certified instructor.
Please don't be so quick to dismiss the importance of looking in the matter, "inconsequential" is a fairly sharp rebuke.
I have to agree with Camp Guy. There are legal liabilities here for the parents, the instructor, and the ski area.

I'm thinking that a ski instructor, in this specific case, is like a babysitter: you leave the children in someone else's care and you go off. For legal issues with babysitters see https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/p...a%20babysitter. Quote: "In a babysitting situation there is no doubt that a duty of care is owed. Your babysitter must behave like a reasonable person would behave in the same or similar circumstances. So whether a babysitter is liable will depend on their age, the circumstances, and the details of what happened."

If the private ski instructor is paid, then the instructor is conducting business at the ski area and using its facilities. Apparently ski areas consider that illegal. See https://www.skimag.com/performance/g...i-instructors/ Quote: "The instructor likely has no insurance in case of injury, no background checks, and no guarantee of instructor certification . . . Without insurance, their personal assets are at risk if there’s a lawsuit." The article points out that ski areas depend on the fees earned by the ski school to support their operations.

I feel like this is all moot because, from a developmental point of view, young children are not going to put up with a 6-hour lesson. I definitely wouldn't put three young children in the care of a high school kid on a ski slope all day. The chances that things are going to go smoothly don't seem that great. You would be putting the children at risk, but also the high school kid and his or her parents for legal liability if the instructor has bad judgment or makes a mistake.

Last edited by SailinAway; 11-08-2022 at 09:27 PM.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote