View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 08:16 PM   #8
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
A few winters ago on a Thursday (another one of those slow starting winters), I got on the lake on a snowmo at Sheps. Tested the ice and had 7 inches of black ice. Kept going towards Cattle Landing. Near the Cattle Landing docks I checked the ice again, and still had a good 7 inches. I kept going — but I know to be very wary where the expansion crack usually forms at the pinch point between Meredith Neck and Bear/Dolly and that area tends to be late to lock up. Looking out beyond Cattle Landing, the ice had a different look to it. So I stopped just shy of Dolly Island to cut another hole. To my surprise, I had maybe 3 inches under me!!! Now that will hold up a person, but add a 500 pound sled and gear?? Needless to say, I backed up and retraced my steps. Skipped the Derby that year.

Two days later on that Saturday, three people went through the ice on sleds and drowned.... You can never be too careful....

Agree the weather gods seem to be in our favor and next week should be good. I’m going have a friend check out access at Sheps too. I got on at the Gilford public beach last year which is actually really easy, just further from my house.

Stay safe everyone.
I have first hand info that there is about 7-8" of good solid black ice out in front of Sheps. Beyond that no idea. One thing to be concerned with is that ice can be very deceptive as to it's thickness as you experienced. The little bit of snow that fell this week shows water bleed through which is a sure sign that it's still very sketchy out there. Definitely be careful out there.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote