View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 02:03 PM   #8
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

I agree with 8gv. Over the past 10 years, the City of Laconia has made a significant investment in Section 8 housing and rehab facilities. With this type of investment, who do you think we are going to attract? Nice families who are looking for good paying jobs? No, drug addicts and recovering drug addicts who need to be housed.

We should first define the problem. In my opinion, the problem does not appear to be homelessness, but instead mental illness and addiction. For every single mother of three whose spouse has left her, there are hundreds or thousands of mentally ill, drug addled individuals who have chosen to live life outside of societal norms. I know people who are in between homes/apartments. They make it work because they are not mentally ill or addicted to drugs. They stay with a relative, purchase a mobile home, etc. They haven't alienated everyone in their lives so even though they are in a tough spot they can get through it. The government cannot solve this problem. In fact, the government has made it worse.

Ever since the implementation of the Great Society, programs designed to help people have hurt people. With these programs, we have systematically dismantled the structure that makes society successful -- a strong family support structure, a strong faith community, and a strong local community. Government programs and policies have weakened these critical institutions.
As individuals, we are each responsible for the decisions we make. Unfortunately, we tolerate this abhorrent behavior. We shouldn't be surprised that we are seeing more of it. In fact, with the free-flow of deadly drugs over our open border, I guarantee it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

I disagree with the notion that wealth on the lake is inherited. 90% of all millionaires earned it without inheriting anything.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post: