View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
Gee60

Post Another TI Camper Remembers

I’m delighted to locate this forum again, and read others’ memories of Camp Treasure Island. I’m so grateful to onceMeg, anne154, Joan, and Lakeflier for their posts; especially to onceMeg for the TI poem! I’d forgotten the words, and am amazed she remembered it after all these years!

I spent 3 summers at TI (1959-1961). We traveled by bus from Boston, and then to TI by boat from Smith’s Point in West Alton Bay. In 1959 I was in the Trip Unit in Crow’s Nest. Bonny & Scotty were our counselors. The following two years I was in the CIT Unit in Fiddler’s Green. I think Lakeflier and I were there together as CITs. There were 12 of us in 2 cabins, and Chips was our counselor. I think I remember onceMeg, too, as a camper in Spyglass (?) in 1960.

In the trip unit we climbed Mt. Major (day trip). We canoed on Lake Winnipesaukee from island to island; visiting Stonedam, Idlewilde, Long & Cow, and even portaged from one island to another. We also spent a week camping at Peabody Slopes on Cannon Mt. and exploring the Flume Gorge at Franconia Notch. All wonderful new adventures for scouts back in those days!

As first year CITs we visited Derrybrook (in VT?) for a couple of days. I remember the song. As second year CITs we helped out for a few days at Camp Kirby for Brownie Scouts in West Townsend, MA. Both years, we taught camp crafts, knot tying, and led songs with the younger units. I still have my old handwritten TI songbook, except I typed up most of them since then.

A big highlight for first year CITs was getting our “no-jewels.” I still have mine "Gee" tucked away in a box somewhere! Those CIT years were truly formative ones for me. Like onceMeg, I found a hand-drawn map I did with all the unit locations, lists of staff members, some photos and old postcards in my TI scrapbook.

I have such fond and lasting memories of camp life at TI and all the friends I made there. I’ve often wondered where their life paths took them, and where they are now. It’s so good to find some of them here again after all these years. My TI summers remain some of the happiest months of my life, even though since then I’ve spent years in East Africa and Central America. Nothing compares to those carefree summer days on an island in a beautiful lake!
Gee60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gee60 For This Useful Post: