View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #39
SIKSUKR

Default This is my baby!!

Having purchased all raw materials and formulated all Schonland products for many years, I know my hot dogs. Beef, pork, and veal made the best frankfurt in our opinion. Beef fat is not very palatable so the fat portion was mostly pork. Beef has a very good proien for emulsifying so the lean portion was from beef. There is no comparison for me as natural casing is by far the choice. We sold Schonland to Labatt Beer before it was sold to Kayam. I still worked for Kayam briefly before moving on. Kayam changed the formula of the Schonland frank and I no longer like them as much as the old. They contain communuted chicken which is lean but not a pretty sight. It looks like orange mud. Their Kayam brand dog is actually better and I now buy those. Funny thing is that the Schonland brand is priced 50 cents a pound more here in the Manchester area. Buy the Kayam. Old Neighborhood makes a pretty good Natural Casing also but I'm partial to Kayem's spices. It still comes down to a personel choice like most things. I had 2 last night.