View Single Post
Old 11-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #28
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I did not state that they got rid of the start-up load, I stated they changed how they were starting, and did not go into the details of the updated technology.

Same thing with the ''smart thermostat'' with the furnace in another discussion. Explaining the difference between the old/new doesn't really help the OP, as it isn't something they really control.

The only difference being that the newer is more susceptible to supply variation that can damage the unit.
I was referring to this statement.

"Newer appliances are gaining efficiency partial by changing how they start to reduce that initial start-up load."

If that was meant to simplify conversation that's fine by its misleading, confusing and basically wrong. That statement is implying by removing startup surge that that it is how they are more energy efficient. That's simply not the case. Startup surges were insignificant with regard to consumption because they were so short. But as I think you meant too convey by eliminating startup surges you reduce the cost in handling "peak loads". You can get by with smaller generator, smaller circuits because you can focus on the max continuous load only.

For example I changed my AC pool pump two decades ago from single speed AC to two speed AC pump. They both still had the same peak surge load. But I still got the same efficiency as a modern DC variable speed pump by running the pump at 1/8 the speed (low). That's how I gained huge efficiency with no change in surge.

On side note, whether the appliance is an old or new it should have a tag listing peak load. Likewise the generators all list peak and continuous load. And the major label on the generators that say like 8000 Watt generator is usually the peak capacity and not continuous load.

If you wanted a simple and correct version of what you meant

"A bonus in newer appliances gain in efficiency they have all but eliminated large start up surges".
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote