View Single Post
Old 11-21-2021, 01:25 AM   #24
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
The refrigerator uses a lot of amperage on start-up, but the generator should have the capacity... as long as the extension cord does.

Newer appliances are gaining efficiency partial by changing how they start to reduce that initial start-up load.
Getting rid of start up load is not how they are more efficient. The practical removal of start up loads is a side effect of using variable speed DC motors continuously. DC motors can run efficiently at slow speeds and have variable control based on demand. Where AC motors were efficient at one speed (or a couple speeds) and usually at the max work they do.

Twice the work requires the square in power. Like for a pool my pump would run like 6 hours a day. But if I ran it half speed for twice as long (12 hrs) it would take half the amount of total power even though it’s running twice as long. Now cut the speed in half again and double time again I’m at 24hrs and use 1/4 the total power for the same amount of water filtered.

Refrigerators, AC/Heat Pumps, Water Pumps all are moving in this direction. They run continuously at the speed needed based on the demand. Instead of a burst at high speed for short bursts of time.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote