View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 05:21 AM   #34
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I spent some time today researching snowblowers. I didn't realize that some Toro single-stage machines can handle quite a bit of snow. I'm looking at the Toro Power Clear 518 ZR: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Pow...8472/205380014

You'll probably say it's too small for a 20' x 60' driveway and New Hampshire snow, but I here's what I'm thinking:
  1. It has very good reviews.
  2. It weighs 54 lbs, which I can handle in the driveway, compared to a 2-stage machine.
  3. If it snows more than 7" I can clear the driveway more than once during a storm. A 15" storm could be done in two passes.

The next size up, the Toro Power Clear 721, is a more effective machine but it weighs 84 lbs. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Pow...8472/205380014

My concern about a two-stage machine is not just the weight while using it, but the impossibility of getting it home and taking it anywhere for service since I have a compact hatchback.

Your thoughts?

And a question: I need some paths around my house (like to the electric meter and oil fill pipe). Would this machine tear up the lawn?
Design can matter more than weight--go feel the machines.

The first snow on grass can be delicate, but once it's frozen/packed a bit it's fine.

Light snow is easy to throw, it's the wet, heavy stuff that makes a machine worth its salt--it may be worth the size/design for those times.

Transportation isn't a huge issue--wherever you buy probably offers delivery and many small engine shops will pick up/deliver machines. If not, I'm sure you've got a friend who can help out. In 35 years of working with snowblowers (20 at home with Dad, 15 on my own), we've only had to have service that required transport three or four times.

Treat every ounce of gas you buy and cycle leftover gas through your vehicle every few months, and you'll get years of service.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote