View Single Post
Old 04-10-2022, 02:59 PM   #27
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Is there anyone here who is able to pedal and ride a bicycle but is unable to walk? Possibly, this can be the case with a hip or knee problem?
Prior to getting my hip replaced I was a much better cyclist than walker.

Re FLL's suggestion, Route 49 to Waterville Valley is quite nice and leads to interesting places. It doesn't look steep at all to the eye but the slight uphill continues for 10 miles from the junction with 175 to Waterville Valley at just enough pitch to make you think, "Huh, I didn't realize I was this out of shape." The ride back is fun!

The biking around Tamworth is pleasant---Foss Flats Road, for example. 113 near there goes to the Thompson Sanctuary, where you can ride out on a boardwalk to a beautiful observation deck.

Of course, the OP asked about mountain biking, not road. I found lots of good tips for hiking trails in this thread, since many (most?) of these places allow hiking on the MB trails. In some cases snowmobile trails might be in good enough shape for biking.

Be aware that the Franklin Falls trails are poorly marked in my opinion. There are maps at the kiosk, but there are dozens of unmarked cross trails not shown on the map, such that you can lose the main trail. I would take a compass as the trails wind so much that after a while you totally lose your sense of direction. Maybe not a risk for bikers, but definitely a risk for hikers who find themselves lost far from their starting point . . . after sunset . . . with no provisions.

How old is your son, Thinkxingu? There are some easier flattish trails at Franklin Falls, and you can always ride out over the dam, which has a nice view. I see kids around 11 or 12 biking there, not many younger than that. Once you go from route 127 down to the Pemigewasset River valley, it's going to be hard to ride back up.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote