View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #76
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO123 View Post
Hi, I just wanted to check in with my HyperHeat Mini-spilts.

Up until yesterday they were the sole source of heat in the house. (I have 5 units installed, one 15Kbtu in the open area downstairs and one 9Kbtu each in the 4 bedrooms. The house is a 2200 SF two-story, remodeled in the 90's. We have oil fired hot water and a propane fireplace insert too.

When we bought the house last year I added 6" of attic insulation, getting now to R38-ish levels. I was unsure of the wall insulation. However, with all the ongoing remodeling, I noticed that the exterior walls had a 1" or so thick foil-faced insulation in the 2 x 4 walls! SO I have been tearing down the walls and insulating with Roxul mineral wool batts (R15 for 3"--great stuff!). So wall heat loss is a problem.

The Mitsubishi units have kept us nice and comfy so far. Yesterday as the temps plummeted past 0, they couldn't keep up despite continually pumping out the hot air. Which has a lot more to do with the heat loss than the HyperHeat units. So I set the oil boiler to come on to help.

Although we are only at the Lake 3-4 days per week, our entire electric bill was $180 for December, which is about $100 more than last year. The units excel at efficiently keeping a minimum heat level (50-55 deg.) while we are away.

All in all I am still quite happy, as our original need for the units was as an alternative for central air. To have such flexibility with various fuel prices as they fluctuate is the best of all worlds.

--Steve
We have pretty much the same set up except a 24K on the first floor and a 9K in the finished basement as well. We have been using them exclusivly for heat up until l this week as well. I turned the oil on as I was afraid the baseboard might freeze since it is run on some outside walls. Our electric bill went up about $150 in Nov. Don't know what December is yet but they seem less expensive to run over oil. Plus the temp is actually more stable!!

We plan to run them if the temp is >15 outside.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Fun For This Useful Post: