View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
NH.Solar

When I first began coming to Winnipesaukee with my parents in the 60s the Lake was a drop dead gorgeous and clean wilderness with "camps" on the3 shoreline. There were a few lawns but very few, and the water was so clean that you could easily see 15-20 feet down.
Lawns don't necessarily pollute the lake but the application, and most especially the misapplication, of fertilizers by untrained homeowners most certainly does. Want proof? Sit in the Gilford Lowes parking lot on a Spring Saturday morning and watch the tons of high nitrogen fertilizers being loaded into out-of-state cars. Do you think those poisons are going back to their homes? No they aren't, they will most likely end up over applied on the lawns that you see near the water ...and pollute the very waters we wish would have remained pristine. It is never to late to do the right thing
I suggest considering replacing the lawn with a good thick layer of natural bark mulch. If you buy it by the truckload from one of the larger local gravel companies it is only going to cost about $35 a yard. It will smell great, be soft underfoot to walk on, never need mowing nor fertilizing and will be broken down by the bacteria in a way the compliments the natural duff and soil life rather than destroying it.
If the Boss insists on a lawn you can still do that with a much lighter footprint on the environment. The first step is to get the soil ph balanced to about a 6.8. Sneak up on it by applying lime (or gypsum if your soil is high in clay) a little at a time every four weeks or so apart. Next fertilize it just once a year and in the fall with a "winterizer" formula. This will promote deep root growth and you will end up with a much healthier lawn. A key here especially is don't overdo it! A little is far better than a lot. Lastly cut whatever grows tall, frequently, with a sharp blade, and call it turf. From 50 feet away at 30 mph no one is ever going to know the difference ...except the worms, bees, fish, birds, etc ...and they'll be thanking you
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post: