View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #569
Nadia

Post My thoughts...

It took me almost three hours to read this thread in it's entirety. I've finally come to the end of it. Lots of opinions, premature speculation and genuine prayers. My opinion of the poster and it's content would change drastically from post to post, yet what matters to me so much is that a very special person's life was cut drastically short, and having witnessed first hand the strength of the friendship Erica and Stephanie shared, I'm not sure I would want to be in Erica's place right now. I'm sure there are times she wishes it was her too, or her instead.

I guess I could be accused of being slightly numb or maybe just engrossed in my new life as a mother and many other changes, and the fact that Nadia's is now closed. I was just recently made aware that the Stephanie and Erica who were involved in this accident were the Stephanie and Erica who were guaranteed to visit our restaurant 2-3 times per week. They were wonderful customers, friends and a joy to be around. However, I never knew their last names, so I did not put two and two together when I read this thread initially, or even the newspapers. I was on a first name basis with most of my customers. The only name I recognized was Dr. Rock who was also a good friend and a frequent patron. His heroic and selfless actions were directly in line with his character.

I am also a patient at Laconia Clinic where Stephanie was employed and have been there several times only to note she was not at her desk. I put it off thinking she was possibly busy or out to lunch. By the time her office became occupied by another employee I had been made aware that this Stephanie everyone was talking about was indeed "that girl". Her smile was indeed infectious and she was a fun person to be around. I always waved to her in her office when in to see the Doctor. This is a tragic loss and I can't get beyond that thought right now to express anything else on top of the fact I suppose I have no desire to speculate. If Erica was indeed drinking irresponsibly I would never believe her intentions were to kill Stephanie and injure herself and her friend. And like I said before, I would NOT want to be in her shoes even if she is aquitted or found not guilty! For the rest of her life she will carry this tragedy in the form of a heavy emotional burden and her life will never be the same. I'm still in shock even after months of time passing by. My prayers are with the families of these women and on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post
it seems like sometimes evidence is tossed out on the craziest of technicalities (i.e. the police forgot to add AM or PM after the time on the summons, etc)... while good for the defendent, sometimes it means a killer goes free (anyone remember the OJ trial and the evidence that wasn't allowed in court?).
It does seem obsurd to any reasonable, prudent person I agree. However, the justice system in this great country of ours has evolved into one that is designed to set 100 guilty people free before incarcerating 1 innocent person. Although this may seem ludicrous and anger people, you will be real happy it is designed this way if you or a loved one are ever in the Defendant's seat, and don't think you or anyone else is immune to it. Despite such desperate measures I do believe innocent people still go to jail, but the number is as low as it's going to get especially with the sophisticated DNA testing and resources that law enforcement has access to. A murderer can be tied to a crime scene from a single strand of hair left at the scene of the crime. Yet in order to get a conviction, the Prosecution has to be on their toes if they want justice served. It is what it is. If they didn't have to put AM or PM on the ticket then eventually it would lead to other things being excused, and before you know it the entire system has lost it's cause. They have to have their ducks in a row. Anyone who doesn't like it is free to move to another country. I direct this comment not at PIG or anyone here, just saying in general.

The most important thing I have to say is PLEASE be safe on the lake this summer. One life lost is one too many...

Last edited by Nadia; 06-12-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Ambiguous wording?