View Single Post
Old 06-08-2006, 07:01 PM   #50
Skip

Exclamation Fact check....

Very interesting thread.....

Let me chime in by correcting a few errors of fact woven throughout this particular conversation.

First, Marine Patrol boats do indeed in many cases carry and utilize marine radios. Some of the smallest aluminum boats have no fixed radios but as they move up in size they may have a fixed VHF public safety radio with inserted marine band channels. Larger craft carry a mix of radios including public safety VHF, 800 MHz and marine band radios.

I was very disturbed to read the account of the rescuers that were unable to use their cell phones and not carrying any portable radio equipment. While it may be understandable that some EMT volunteers may not have access to a readily available portable radio, all police officers and Fire/Rescue companies in this State do have access to portable radios and must have one with them while on duty for such occasions as described. The particular area of the Lake where the accident occurred, while lacking adequate cell phone coverage, is well covered by a variety of VHF & UHF public safety radio sites. Not having the appropriate equipment readily available to those personnel was not an issue of technology but one of failure to follow accepted procedure, if indeed the scenario as described was accurate. I monitor the public safety radio traffic in this area (along with DRH, the “Skipper” and others) and appreciate what an excellent job is done by the dispatch centers here, especially the Lakes Region Dispatch Center.

By the way, my good friend the "Skipper" is also correct about Phase II E-911 coverage in NH. While the State E-911 center is Phase II compliant and ready to receive Phase II positioning data, many cell phones still in use and a number of cell phone carriers in the State still are not forwarding the appropriate data for positioning purposes. The cell phone industry has dragged their feet tremendously in implementing Phase II. While we are fortunate in NH to be ahead of the bell curve on its implementation, a disturbing amount of calls to 911 still do not deliver live saving accurate positioning data. On the plus side most other States lag far behind us in meeting the well passed deadline for this technology.

Oh yes, the "engineering data" referenced in an earlier post is data that was paid for by the cell site developer? It is very easy to manipulate radio propagation maps and any two firms using any of a variety of prop loss study RF software can come up with vastly varying data. In many cases it is not the cell phone company attempting to erect a tower, but a "vertical reality" developer looking to create a site and then propagate it not only with cell carriers, but also to co-locate paging and data link (microwave)companies to maximize rental income. It is in the best interest of the Cell Company (or vertical reality company) to curb capital outlay by locating a minimal amount of sites at the highest (and usually most prominent) locations to get the greatest coverage area per site.

By the way repeaters and micro-sites work and they work well in the terrain presented by the Lake and elsewhere in our State. This is the technology that is currently used successfully by the public safety sector to cover the same areas the cell developers are now finally exploring. The reason the cell developers shun them is simple.....it’s the cost. While it is very expensive to build out a single mountaintop site (upward of $500k to in excess of a million dollars) it is still much cheaper for them to cover a wide swath of territory from one ridge or mountain top then to develop a half dozen or more smaller cell zones. It’s all about maximizing profits.

Anyway, I carry both my cell phone and a marine radio while boating. The main reason I continue to carry a radio has already been pointed out here previously....it not only allows me to request aid from nearby boaters that may have no idea that I have a problem if I only had my cell, but it also allows me to monitor my fellow boaters and render aid to them.

But that is my personal choice.

However, the reader must be forewarned that even with a plethora of cell towers being built out, the carrying of a cell phone does not guarantee instant location or rescue. How many times in the last few years have we read the story of the boater, hiker or motorist venturing out into unsafe conditions then demanding immediate rescue via their phone? And even though many of these phones were able to contact E-911 utilizing present Phase II technology, in many cases extensive searches still take place to locate a caller.

Remember, many of today's Phase II compliant handsets utilize built in GPS to transmit location. Unfortunately the same rugged terrain that interferes with cell phone coverage also interrupts GPS signals. If your phone does not know where it is because it does not have a clear LOS to enough birds (satellites) then it does not have enough information to relay accurate positioning to the PSAP (public safety answering point). Network base triangulation would probably have ensured a more accurate way of determining overall location and originally was thought to be the direction cell developers were moving in.....but you guessed it, it was easier to pass the cost along by putting the positioning responsibility on the consumer via the handset GPS then to have the cell companies go back and install the necessary hardware and software on their own equipment to triangulate.

Don't get me wrong, I love my cell phone and wouldn't be without it. I am one of those consumers responsible for the building out of cell sites around this State in my constant demand for new & greater service. But I am also not fooled by the tactics employed by cell site developers to minimize costs by attempting to develop prominent real estate sites that in many cases degrade scenic vistas.

The technology exists to expand coverage by utilizing readily available non-intrusive technology. The difference between utilizing this technology and slapping a big ugly tower on every virgin mountaintop in the Lakes region is simply one of maximizing profit margin.

Unfortunately it’s as simple as that!

(Anyway, sorry for the length of the post...but too much was slipping by and I thought I'd take a stab at it all at once)

In closing and as always, feel free to PM me offline if anyone has any particular interest in my thoughts. As some of you know, this is an area that the "Skipper" and I have extensive personal & professional experience. I am sure he too would gladly field any off-line technology questions you may have in reference to these concerns.

Safe boating….and make sure you keep those batteries charged!!!!

Skip