View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #42
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW
How in heck did we all live 10 to 15 years ago without cell phones. My suggestion is let's go back to those good ole days and use them just for our work environment.
On this, I have to agree! I can understand using cells for emergencies, but for everyday use? Give me a break! If Andy Rooney hasn't already done at least one commentary on the proliference of cell phone usage, he is way past due. I'm beginning to look at cell phones as an intrusion to "polite society"..... I have heard conversations that should have been kept private, i.e. the following: heard a mother talking to another mother about not only her daughter's first menstruation but the problems teaching tampon usage; one person talking to another about first person's bowel problems; one person talking to another about her son's attempted suicide and his probable emotional troubles........... where is the privacy in life? Do I need to really share in these life traumas? No, I was not asked to be a party to these conversations, but I was made one by said people choosing to carry on their telephone conversations in public, in the grocery store, where they are surrounded by people trying to mind their own business and get their shopping done. I actually consider these public conversations an intrusion into my own life.

There is a reason many states have mandated fines, etc. for people using cell phones while driving a vehicle. I think there should be fines levied if a boat driver is using a cell phone, as a boat can be more dangerous than a wheeled vehicle if the driver is distracted by talking on the phone -- anyone ever seen a boat with brakes? I'm beginning to think grocery cart drivers should be fined, also, if they are chatting away while pushing the cart, lol!

I guess what I'm saying is, I can see both sides of the argument, but enough is enough with the cell phone usage. Does anyone really need to be "connected" at all times? Where is the relaxation time? Where is the private time? And where is the family time? About 7 years ago I shut my cell phone off because I really needed a couple of hours away from a very stressful reality and I missed a very important family meeting - my father had had a stroke and the doctors called a family meeting to make literally a life or death decision in my father's case and I wasn't there because they couldn't get hold of me, but that time away from "life" helped me get through the rest of a very painful time. So, do we really need more towers? I say no.

Off my soapbox now. Maybe in the future, "to tower or not to tower" should become a warrant article. 'Nough said.