View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default The "Wee Hoose"

About ten years ago it was still there and still named the "Wee Hoose". That was my first trip up to Lake Winnipesaukee back in 1946 or 1947. The Wee Hoose belonged to Jim and Millie Foster, Scottish immigrants from Andover MA, who also started with a tent platform I believe in the 1920's and then grew into a "cottage". Uncle Jim and Aunt Millie were my mom's aunt and uncle, therefore my great-aunt and great-uncle, and of course "Wee Hoose" is the Scottish dialect for wee house, small house, and small it was.

I have little recollection of the stays there, except that Uncle Jim would sleep on an "L" shaped porch in the warm weather, and my Dad & I would join him when we came up. There was a "cooler" that was built into the floor right next to Uncle Jim's cot, and there was always some ice and an eyeopener in the cooler. And an eyeopener it was...Uncle Jim would reach down into that cooler and get an eyeopener for himself and wake up my dad and get him one too. Me....I had to go inside and get milk out of the icebox (truly an ice box, not a refrigerator.).

I can barely remember the beach, and swimming, but do remember walking around the park and it seemed like everyone knew everyone else.

I know there were dances at the Pavillion on Saturday nights, with kid's dances early, and then the kids would get put to bed, and the adults would take over. Teams of parents would go around and check on the kids to make sure they were alright. (used to do the same thing in our old neighborhood in Reading MA...adults at neighborhood cookouts in the summer and sledding on the hill on our street in the winter time). Of course, if parents did that sort of thing now, it would be called neglect and the kids would be taken away !

Uncle Jim and Aunt Millie are long gone, as are all the rest of the family, so that's about it for info from this end. This is where my user name comes from, because as a toddler, I couldn't say "Winnipesaukee", so I would simply say "Up the Saukee", and that phrase stuck.