Thread: Local service
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 09:18 AM   #38
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
$400 tab for tying up a table for 2 hours seems legit to me. It's not like they were sitting drinking free water for the 2nd half of their dinner. If the waiter had 4 tables and they were all tied up for 2 hours and he "only" made $400 that night, it seems pretty good to me. But waiter likely had more tables, and after the 2 hours were up, he at least turned them all once. When I read this thread, some of the opinions make me think that the tip should be based on the time you spend there. That'd be fine with me, as I can ring up a big tab in a short time.
On the flip side, the other night I booked a reservation at a local restaurant. We arrived in plenty of time and could see our table. The party was finished eating but stayed to talk for quite a while (until the hostess said something to them) which caused us to wait for an extra 30 minutes. I was fine with it - but clearly the party that was lingering did not realize that others were waiting (or if the did, weren't concerned) . In my case I don't think the restaurant was cutting it too close on the time between reservations.

Some restaurants clearly state they are not looking to turn tables; "your" table is yours for the night. Others are looking to turn tables through reservations and/or walk-ins. Knowing the expectations of the establishment and stating yours if the plan is to linger makes good sense.

Still, though, no server should be rude.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote