View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #50
welch100

Default Island Living

I grew up spending summers on Dockham Shore, but moved to Welch Island 35 years ago. We ADORE island living! There is nothing like having the lake a few feet away from your front door, and miles of lovely walking trails out back. Once our kids could swim, they had the run of the island, acquiring a love of nature and sense of adventure. It's like turning the clock back 50 years, with WiFi!

Yes, you have to lug everything back and forth, but especially as we age, we appreciate the workout. Yes, we have to be aware of the weather, but watching the storms blow in and out is endlessly entertaining, and now with radar on the internet, it's easy to do. Yes, it costs more to have work done, but that helps us to live more simply and be self-sustaining.

The peace and quiet, privacy, safety, and sense of community that we experience on island can't be bought on the mainland for anything remotely close to the price we paid. I used to regret a little bit not having a year-round vacation home, but over the years, I have come to appreciate the island even more, precisely because it's NOT available all the time. We love the annual rituals that start watching for ice-out in early spring, and ending with close-up in October. In the winter, our grown kids snow-shoe out to the island and "camp" in the cottage.

Island living is not for everybody. It is not just real estate; it's a way of life.

Last edited by welch100; 09-30-2014 at 09:07 AM.
welch100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to welch100 For This Useful Post: