View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,515 Times in 984 Posts

Insurance co may give you a problem. Usually for a "Builder's risk"y want it finished and occupied within a year. Limited coverage for an unoccupied building.
You need a "Plan B" if you are personally unable to complete thew work you planned, to protect your investment to date. Hard to sell a work in progress if you have to go in another direction. A little different if you have the funds and are just trying to save money compared to building this way because you can't afford to do the standard building sequence.
My house started as a 1600 s.f. ranch, although the outside looked like a cape. The first floor was totally done and stubs went to the second floor for plumbing. Upstairs was unfinished and the builder's health failed. We had subs finish the second floor and then some additions brought it to a little over 3200 sf. Point is, the original living space was 100% finished, so no problems with bank, insurance, code enforcement, etc. Although I had/have various skills, I would not consider such an evolution at age 60 compared to age 30. You need a better plan, not just some partial building skills.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote