View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmass View Post
We are looking at having a new home built in Meredith next fall. We currently have two local builders quoting a finished 1,730 sq. ft. retirement home for us stick built. I have had a great deal of experience in my 30 years as a home owner at interior and remodeling work like flooring, tile, painting, cabinets and plumbing. I would love to have a turn key finished home but I am starting to get fearful of not being able to swing the total cost all at once. Since I am still working for another 4 years I was thinking perhaps I could have the house framed with heat and one working bathroom and I could work and finance the completion of the interior over time myself with an occasional sub if needed. What would the cost difference be between a finished turn key home and a framed home per square foot?
Any work you can do yourself is going to save you a significant amount of money especially interior work which is the most costly and time consuming. Most of this is not rocket science it really comes down to what is your time worth and do you have the time to do it. Playing weekend warrior gets old after a while and progress will go at a snails pace when you only have a day or two at a time to get things done and working alone or with limited help.

Keep one other thing in mind you'll be pushing your luck if you are actually staying in a building that doesn't have a certificate of occupancy. Granted you don't have to be finished but there are aspects of the building that need to be there to get one... I think you'd want to pay to get that far then pick your battles from there.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote