View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #29
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
If you have a sandy bottom that has been compromised with silt and leaves by stirring up the water there is a way to clean it. I use this method at my house, not because of marine construction but due to the fact that my bay is now a no wake zone and I don'r get the wave action to clean the sandy bottom and the west wind blows leaves and silt my way.
I have a roof rake with that extends to around 25'
I start my boat and make sure the drive is trimmed straight back which starts a good currant Then, starting at the boat, I walk along the shore
stirring up the bottom with the rake and it cleans it right down to the sand.
Not to play devils advocate, but you could tie your boat in such a way as to direct all that material right back at your neighbor
Based on above posts, this doesn't seem any more proper than dumping silt or spoil off a barge.
I know people who did this years ago and later found their boat/motor cooling system full of sand and pebbles. The reduced water flow led to overheating and big repair bills.
If you overload a barge, it settles in the water and water may seep in between boards that are not fully swollen/watertight. If your pumps can't keep up, there is a lot of pressure to offload weight (rocks/sand) to get more freeboard. Is this a better choice than letting the barge sink with diesel fuel and heavy equipment on board? Rhetorical question. Not to start a side discussion, or an excuse for overloading by mistake or intent. You still have to pay the fine. To me, impounding the barge/crane for a period of time would be more effective than a few thousand dollars in fines.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote