Thread: Prop repair
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #13
Farfrumbehavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
If the damage is minor and performance is not affected, there's no need to get it fixed. Contrary to popular opinion, there is no need to fix every little nick in a prop and as long as there's no annoying vibration, props do not need to be perfectly balanced. The bearings in the lower gearcase are exactly the same type used as car wheel bearings and have no trouble whatsover dealing with unbalanced loads. Think about how unbalanced the load is on a wheel bearing on a car, the weight of the car pushes on one side and there is no load 180 degrees from that point. A few grams of prop blade is nothing in comparison.
I have not seen the prop. Knowing him, and how anal he is about his equipment, he will most likely buy a spare and send this one out to be reconditioned. I understand what your saying and don't doubt you a bit. I guess everyone has a comfort zone. All his time is offshore. I go out 35 miles at times, it's common for him to be out 50 or more. there is no room for question marks in your head. If he's in doubt he won't go out. I just hope he gets back out soon. Thank eveyone for the help.
Farfrumbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote