Thread: Yeti
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #24
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
A lot of people use dry ice, I couldn't even tell you where to get dry ice around here so what I do is this, usually I use the cooler mainly for the weekends as more of a storage cooler to not have 100+ cans in my fridge, I will throw a 2-3 bags of ice (full ice not broken up yet) into the cooler on like Tuesday/Wednesday, let it sit untouched until Thursday night/ Friday whenever I go beer/drink shopping and then will drain what ever water accumulated from that day of melting, open up the bags and spread the ice on the bottom, insert drinks, ice on top and good to go.

Cant speak for the RTIC or south jettys but the Yeti is not an open shut open shut kind of cooler in my opinion. So I will keep this cooler on my deck or dock and then grab whatever we think we will drink on the boat into a soft shell (grizzly) cooler to save space on the boat. I also have the 65 size so the things stupid heavy to be taking on the boat. Prechilling it I usually see an extra day or two out of the ice, but the melted water is still nice and chilly afterwards.
Thanks for the reply. We kind of do it the same way, I fill the 60L with roughly 60lbs of ice on Friday am and that is my ice for the weekend. So when I need ice in the other coolers I just take from that cooler and put into the smaller coolers to go on the boat etc. It is also nice to not have to buy ice for the ride home either if we are bringing any kind of food home for the week, plus I can buy 25lbs of ice at BJ's for $3.99 which is a good price in my opinion. I agree with you that the roto molded coolers are VERY heavy, even without all the ice in them.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote