View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
marcucci

I have a Premier 220 Tritoon with a 150HP. I've had water come over the front twice and both times were driver error. Once when we first got it while I was driving and once when my 12-year-old was driving. Both were before we learned how to drive the boat, being our first pontoon.

Both times we were going at a low speed and took a large wave straight on. Since then we've learned to not take waves head-on at a low speed. Idle is ok and at speed is okay but there is this magical zone, about 4 to 7 MPH for my boat, where the crest of a wave that is >14 inches (or the hight from waterline to the deck) makes it to the deck before the pontoons can lift the boat. We tube in the boat too so we're often in choppy conditions at idle and don't have problems at that speed unless the wave is huge, like Sophie C wake size right off it's stern.

Since we've learned how to take waves at that speed, even with a heavy front load, we don't seem to have a problem. At 20+ MPH it's the smoothest ride you'll get aside from a very deep V hull, even though the broads in rough water.

I've had people tell me that the tri-hulls "slap" the water in heavy waves but I have no personal experience with that.
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote