Thread: Largemouth bass
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
MikeF-NH

Largemouth prefer different bottom structure than smallies. Largemouth like muddy, weedy, woody structure...smallmouth like rocky/sandy structure and tend to be deeper in summer. Both like docks and other man made structure.

I don't target largemouth on Winni but catch a few each year where their preferred habitat crosses to preferred smallie habitat. There are many areas of the lake the match the description of muddy/weedy/woody...look for those and find largemouth (and pickerel).

As for smallies being small. A few years back we would catch many 1 pounders and few 2+ pounders. That has shifted as those 1 pounders grew up. I now see 2 pounders at standard and 3-4 pounders not uncommon. 1 pounders are the exception.

Like everyone I am not liking the increase of rock bass and am sure they will continue to impact the bass fishery.

On a side not to Dans comment...a few years back a friend caught a 5+ pound largemouth while trolling salmon over 100 feet of water a long way from shore so you never know. I have also caught smallmouth while trolling over 80 feet of water that puked up still-live crayfish on my deck (that fish came a long way from bottom to find my lure). Point being there are general guidelines but that fish of a life time can be caught anywhere.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links