Thread: Money matters ?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #16
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default What to buy?

Similar problem when an unavoidable capital gain forced me into buying when I thought the market was too high. 2000 points later, I'm glad I dove in. I don't like cash and I don't like bonds. I avoid mutual funds because of the fees. Due to other activities I have frequent meetings with other financial experts (I was one once) and we share a lot of information.
So, what did I buy?
Utilities and consumer staples for defense and dividends.
Index ETF's for growth and some dividends with no fees. Quick exit for $7.95 if necessary. QQQ, DIA, IVW, HDV. There's an ETF out there for almost any sector you want.

I subscribe to Morningstar "Dividend Investor". As long as I'm getting solid dividends, I don't worry so much about daily fluctuations. I'm at what Morningstar refers to as the "Harvest" stage in my investment cycle.
Lots of good info easily available on Yahoo Finance. Look at individual stocks and there is a ton of info available, easier (for me) to find than other sites.
Reluctantly, I have a few mutual funds to get some international exposure. Good growth over time, but I don't add to them.

I agree with the folks who suggest professional advice, but the quality of the advice and the types of services vary widely. I changed advisors on one portfolio last year. Proposals from a dozen folks and face to face interviews with 3-4 before making a choice. BTW, management fees can be negotiated beyond the tiers for certain size accounts.

If you don't have a NH Trust, look into it as NH Trusts are generally not subject to NH Interest and Dividends tax.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote