View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #52
Happy Gourmand

Thumbs up Ate at Pop's yesterday

Who wants to cook with this heat and humidity upon us?
We went for a ride yesterday, if for nothing else to enjoy the air conditioned comfort of the car...I won't say that I don't like this weather, but I will say that I hate it!
It was my intention to make the complete lake tour, but we didn't make it past Wolfeboro where my wife and her sister insist that I let them out do do some local shopping. Wolfebore was packed, cars and people all over the place...I hope the stores are having a good season.
So they get back from their mission to deplete the balance in my debit account and announce that they would like some fried seafood for lunch. Not being too familiar with Wolfeboro restaurants, I decided to backtrack through Alton Bay and head to Pop's. We passed the Front Porch on our way to and from Wolfeboro and was wondering how the food was there....but I was determined to try Pop's.
We arrive about 12:30 and there is no line, but a couple of people are ahead of us. We check out the menu....sis-in law wants the clam plate at $22.95, wife wants the jumbo fried shrimp at $18.95 and I want the clam and scallop plate at $22.95. Sounds pretty steep to me....but wait just a minute....
My wife raved about the fried shrimp, I agreed with her sister that the clams were as good as any I have had, and the scallops (large sea scallops) were also as good as any I have ever had.
The portions were HUGE...much more than any one person could comfortably eat. I didn't care too much for the cole slaw...not saying it was bad, just not to my personal liking, besides, there was way too much other "good stuff" on the platter to enjoy. And I did enjoy.
If you go...I recommend that you do what the couple in front of us did....
(obviously repeat customers) order ONE platter and an order of onion rings and share it. More than enough of some of the best fried seafood in the area. The onion rings looked really good. I will try them the next time we go.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post: