View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #115
Chickie

Default Memories of Childhood Days

WinnDixie,

The Paul Bunyan statue was in the parking lot of the Time Out Pub on the corner of Bridge Street. It was later the Backwater Grille (or something like that). It burned a few years ago and was finally torn down after several years of being boarded up following the fire. It never reopened. The Chimp sign at the Big Banana was repainted several times and remained to the end.

I will definitely hold on to my Tom Mix memorabilia, as I fully intend to enter the pearly gates wearing my whistling ring and glow-in-the-dark spurs, with the Indian arrowhead hanging from my neck. The built-in compass should prove most useful for the journey.

Re HoJo’s: After it was moved to the Weirs, the lot remained vacant until Foster’s Restaurant was built. Around 1946-47 a circus came to town by rail and was unloaded in Lakeport. The animals were walked from the station to McIntyre Circle where the tents were erected. Every kid around turned out to watch. Needless to say, it was a very big deal and so exciting. Seeing the huge elephants coming down Union Avenue was quite a sight to behold. What a day! What a day! Anyone remember that?
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote