View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 06:39 AM   #10
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I find that PWC operators often change course multiple times ahead of me which is, of course, fun for them but it gets annoying when my status toggles back and forth from the stand on vessel to the give way vessel.
Two things on that:
1. Yes, though how often, if ever, are you going as fast as the jetski? I do this a fair amount (*almost* always 150' from the trailing vessel), but there's no way the vessel I'm in front of is going to catch me because cruising speeds on the ski are most boats' high-speeds.

2. I've taught my kids (now 9 and 11) that they should always "make their intentions clear" while driving the boat. What I mean by this is that there's a "body language" when operating machines that helps others around you know what you're doing. I have noticed this is severely lacking these days both on the water and on the road. Case in point: when coming out of Wolfeboro Bay the other day, we were turning tight to the red marker at Sewall's Point to indicate to the incoming vessels that we'd be turning north. One incoming, instead of going wide, kept coming toward us enough to make us slow down rather than going wide so we could continue at speed. The jetski behind us, clearly thinking the same as we, zipped out and around and then it was a situation rather than a simple moment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote