View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 01:59 PM   #9
CowTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTimes View Post
What I still wonder and can not find the answer to is if for example a house has a "Lean To" off the house with the same exact roof line and shingles, if ripped down, could that become additional indoor living space on a new build or addition?
I would suggest calling the DES shoreland permit office. I have had similar questions in the past, and found them very helpful and willing to discuss the rules and permit process.

FWIW, if your question is asking whether that would be grandfathered in (i.e., the existing “non conforming structure” is within 50’ of the waterline), I believe the lean-to would constitute existing impervious area and you should be able to turn that into living space if it is on the side or back of the house, but not if it is towards the lake from the house. But you would need to obtain a permit.

From the DES FAQs (https://www.des.nh.gov/protected-sho...faq#faq30956):

Projects that involve expanding the footprint of interior living space of existing, legal, nonconforming primary structures require a shoreland permit as well as a proposal to make the property more nearly conforming. These projects include enclosing an open porch or converting a deck to living space. Please note that the enclosure of an open porch or deck located between a nonconforming structure and the reference line would be prohibited by RSA 483-B:9, II, (b).
CowTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CowTimes For This Useful Post: