View Single Post
Old 08-15-2021, 06:21 AM   #2
CowTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I was wondering what other people have experienced with this.

I have a good water system that pumps out of the lake all year long.

I decided to install a second, back up, seasonal system for irrigation, car washing, and to feed a second building on the property. They are plumbed so that if either fails I can just open a valve and the remaining one will feed everything.

The intake is about 40 feet from shore, about 2 feet above the lake bottom in about 6 feet of water It is a fairly busy area for boats. It seems to me that the filters get dirty and need to be changed pretty quickly. I am considering extending the intake to 60 feet out in about 10 -12 feet of water. Still 2 feet off the bottom? Maybe.

I am curious where most people pumping from the lake put their intakes or anything they may have learned with years of experience to get the best quality water. If I can't get this a lot better I may consider a well.
You will get much better water quality with drastically less sediment by moving the foot valve out as you suggest. We did the same thing a couple years ago in the same situation, from about 5 feet deep close to shore and moved it out about 75’ to around 12’ of water, and the difference was night and day for our filters.
CowTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CowTimes For This Useful Post: