View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #38
DRH

Default Big Difference in Accumulations Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
Today on Black Cat we got shafted again. Would you believe only 2.6 inches of snow fell today. I did drive to Meredith where I found, as Hilltopper said, 4 inches of snow. Here is my guess -- the mountain effects I mentioned last night got a bit more out of control than I thought they would -- or could! The highest totals I've seen today seem to come (mostly) from north- or east-facing slopes, or very near the summit on the other side. However, when one side of a mountain gets topographically-enhanced snow, usually the other side gets a lot less -- it's called "shadowing". Today, I believe we at the NW end of Winnipesaukee got shadowed by the Ossipees and Red Hill. Based on the radar signature, I would say we were too far away from the main part of the storm for it to make up the difference. We were getting the fringes, and they didn't have enough energy to survive the 'milking' they got when they rode up and over the mountains to our north and east.
It's quite interesting how much the local snow accumulations differed around the lake today. Here in West Alton, we had a total of 12" when the storm finally wound down this afternoon. The air temp. averaged about 23 - 25 degs during most of the snowfall, but what fell as light, fluffy snow packed down as the inches accumulated and the resulting foot was much denser than I had expected. In fact, a shear pin actually snapped in my snowblower's auger this afternoon while I was clearing away what turned out to be 12" of fairly heavy snow!