Thread: Ice in 2021 ?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #25
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
We did the complete circuit around the lake yesterday afternoon. For the most part, the lake is still wide open, with little sign of ice in most areas, except for the usual spots.

Alton Bay is relatively solid out to about Sandy Point. At least I hope so as there were a lot of people out on the ice. Looked like the runway had been laid out, several bob houses in place, and even several ATV's and snowmobiles out there. Not sure I'd want to use the bob house that was well out beyond the band stand. But I'm assuming those out there had bored holes and knew what the thickness was.

Also saw people and bob houses on Nineteen Mile Bay. But that was about it.
Caution in Alton Bay: Paul LaRochelle, airport manager for the Alton Bay ice runway, has been out measuring ice thickness in the bay. He reported yesterday on an Alton Bay FB that around the floating bandstand and the plane parking area is 6 inches or so. Heading towards The river, the thickness thins quickly. Heading north from the bandstand, it also thins out as you head out, to only a couple of inches. He is urging extreme.

Dave