View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 06:32 AM   #20
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
I agree that cost per square foot may not be the best metric. However, for reference, in 2012 we tore down a small waterfront house and built a new home. Builder was a well-known local contractor. Final construction cost was in the $190 to $200 per square foot range for turnkey move in condition, exclusive of surveyor and architect fees. Obviously this does not include the value of the land. Work was completed in 8 months in 2013. This included demolition of existing structure, all site work, including multiple days of blasting, new well, new septic, hardwood and tile flooring on first floor and some wall to wall and above average laminate on second floor, whole house generator, gas fireplace with stonework, granite steps, paved driveway, above average vinyl shingle siding, security system, all building systems and HVAC, all appliances, bath fixtures, kitchen and bathroom cabinets, vanities, kitchen island and counter and island tops. I am sure I have left out some items, but it was in "move the furniture in" condition. Two floors of finished living space, 3 bathrooms, a full, but unfinished, walk out basement and attached 2 car garage and basic landscaping with bark mulch. Finishes are what I would call above average, but not extravagant. So extrapolate from there for current per square foot costs. One caveat, in 2012 it was my impression that local builders were more hungry for a fall through spring job than they might be now.
Most builders were still starving in 2012, esp in the lakes region.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote