View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Staying with Wood is a viable solution. You just need to get crafty with how you design your sections. Over the years I have developed many methods for reducing weight to get the sections in and out.

The best of which was my son's getting old enough and strong enough to help :-P...

But in all seriousness, you make the floor boards into sections, that lift off just like an aluminum dock. The you make center supports, by using joist hangers, removable. Shorten the sections from 8' to 6' etc. etc. If you in a high action area I suggest widening your dock to 6' will make things more stable on the deeper sections.

Other idea's include not using Pressure treated wood... Instead use traditional pine, and use a good stain or wood preservative to protect it.

I have thought about going aluminum many times, the problem is when it get wreck, its wrecked and you have to find someone that can weld it back together... I like the ability of just stopping at the lumber store, picking up a new board and fixing the damage....

The other thing as you look at docks, if you have all the hardware, so you cost to update your structure is the cost of lumber. Buying an aluminum solution is going to require much more $$$$$$.....

Just my 2 cents, if you want to discuss ways to make sections more manageable just let me know.