View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
bigdog

Made appt to have car diagnosed by Belknap Subaru.
When I arrived at appt and Service dept said they couldn't actually perform a test on the wiper switch module, but may somehow be able to check Ohms going to switch? They said that test would be difficult.

OK, backup a couple hours..... I had driven the car over an hour before going to Belknap appt, and wipers didn't automatically go on by themselves as they had been for the last week. Working normally, go figure ! I tried turning wipers on/off, but couldn't get them to fail. So I show up to appt telling Belknap about the wiper issue, and everything seems normal now???

FYI, there was a factory recall on the wiper motor, and apparently that was previously replaced under warranty. I purchased car in 2013 as a 24 mo lease -off car with 27k miles.... Belknap Subaru did lookup all factory Recalls but found nothing about 'wiper switch'. However, there was a Subaru 'Service Bulletin' relating to wiper switch failure, but it wasn't a 'factory recall'. So let me see if I understand this, there is NO Recall relating to the switch that controls the wiper motor, but there IS a Recall for the wiper motor, makes no sense ??? The Service Bulletin for wiper Switch does not cover replacement under warranty or otherwise.

So now my dilemma..... roll the dice and wait for the wipers to fail again, to go on/off at will, or worse.... not at all ! Would be my luck, wipers would fail to work during a rainstorm......

Subaru tech had seen this wiper switch issue before on other Subies'.
Thinking logically the wiper switch is the brain, and tells the wiper motor when to come on/off. so the issue has to be the switch !

That said, having the dealer order the wiper switch, and install. Crossing fingers this will resolve the issue, still TBD........
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links