View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #35
classic22

Default final thoughts for now.....

It has been interesting, reading alot of these posts on the speed limit topic...I believe there is a minority in this state, or should I say this lake, that are posing as the majority, that previously rammed home this law...in full disclosure, I am a lakefront property owner, owner of a go fast boat, a not so fast boat, and a slow boat, as well as 2 kayaks, a sail boat, jet skis etc...you get the point....I am fortunate to enjoy the lake in many different types of crafts....With that said, I am very much againt the speed limit law.

Random thoughts regarding this issue:
1. It is not needed, nor has it been proven that we need it...it is feel good legislation for a problem that does not exist,no debate is needed, no compromise is required.
2. I see a lot of analogies referencing speed limits on roads or high ways. These analogies have no bearing on speed on water. Roads are designed for travel at certain speeds, density also plays a part. This is not relavant to a speed limit on water.
3. We currently have laws that address any issue that has been debated here, why create another one that inhibits my right to operate my boat at a speed I feel is safe, and safe for fellow boaters around me.
4. I hear the arbitrary comments that 45 is fast enough, or its really really fast....dont tell me whats fast in my boat, as you have no idea...it may seem really really fast in a small boat that is/was not designed to go fast, but if your piloting a boat that is designed to go fast, there is little danger to anyone, if..again you obey other laws already on the books.
5. Its a travesty, that our largest, most open lake has a speed limit, while all other lakes in the state have no speed limits. This just does not seem right. Let this law( If legislators are reading) sunset as the law was intended and was written.

over and out.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to classic22 For This Useful Post: