View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #42
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
What I am getting at is that there was a 3 month period where the mayor was conducting business and not a resident of Laconia. The law does not provide dispensation for a temporary change of address. The use of the term permanent is a misnomer relative to how the law is stated.

I understand that the mayor will be moving back to Laconia, however, that does not mean that during the last 3 months he was compliant with state law. There is no provision for intent or special circumstances.

Just my 2 cents.

Jetskier
If the mayor was temporarily absent, his legal residence did not change. Did he register to vote in Gilford? Change his car registration or drivers license to a Gilford address? Ever abandon an intent to return to a Laconia residence? The statute you specifically cited refers to domicile. Find the definition of that word in a New Hampshire statute, as it applies to this situation.

To recycle an example I just used: If an elected official's house burns down and he moves in with his brother in the next town over while his house is being rebuilt, he's disqualified from serving? The interpretation of the statute that you promote defies common sense.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post: