View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #50
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
FLL, I wonder if your original problem with this snow blower involved the carb choke? It sounds like it may have been running a little too rich and the excess gas was collecting in the muffler. I presume you had to choke it to do a cold start but I wonder if you didn't get the choke fully open once you began using the machine? Just my .02 cents.

Here's another .02 cents; next time, buy an Ariens Sno-Thro! I've been using them for over 40 yrs and I've never had a complaint. THE BEST snow blower ever and it's made in America!

Also, whatever you buy, don't buy from Lowe's or Home Depot, buy from a real small equipment dealer. It seems like Lowe's and HD sell a lower grade variation of the brand names we're all familiar with.
I bought an Ariens snowblower in 1974. Had it serviced "once in a while", maybe 3 or 4 times while I had it. Around 1995 or so, the carburetor got a bit gummed up so I had it rebuilt. In 2008, trying to start it, the pull rope broke. 34 years and that was the first time it failed me. I went out and bought a new machine that day (another Ariens) and gave my 1974 model to my son's inlaws. It is still going strong. My old one and my new one have Tecumseh engines, probably the factor that set them apart from other machines. Tecumseh has since gone out of business. I bought both from a dealer who fixes them...Nashua Outdoor Power Equipment. If my new one lasts 34 years, I won't have to worry about replacing it until I'm 97 years old!!!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote