View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #20
kauriel

I use a combination between our two houses as they all have strengths and weaknesses. Blink is great for areas within wifi but without power. They are battery operated so they are very flexible but the batteries are a pain to change. I get free video clips whenever there is motion. The camera blinks blue when recording so it's rather noticeable (which is good for security but not good if you are trying to be discrete). You can check live feed if you need to check on something.

I also have an outdoor nest plugged in with annual subscription (I think $99/yr). It's great being able to rewind as it records 24/7. It picks up most motion but sometimes stuff on outskirts doesn't trigger an alert. We also have an indoor nest without subscription that emails me whenever there is motion so I know if our dogs are up and about. You can watch live feeds anytime you want whereas blink you only get short intervals before you need to refresh (to avoid draining batteries).

I have a ring motion light and love that the video clips tend to start right before the motion (unlike blink and nest which tends to create clip after motion is sensed). It was a bit of a pain to replace our existing motion light with the Ring one but it's nice because it doesn't look like a camera. My biggest complaint is that I often can't view the motion clip immediately. I get the alert and can pull up live feed but if I'm too slow the trigger is gone and I can't see what triggered it.

My solution to the delayed ring clips is to also have an Amazon cloud camera inside that looks out window into our driveway. It only records brief clips but it's great to be able to instantly see if someone is at our house or if it was just a leaf blowing by. We also keep one in our vacation home pointed at the floor in kitchen in case there is ever a leak of any sort.

I also like to put my old battery operated game cameras toward edge of woods to periodically check to see what passes by. We see all sorts of wildlife that we would otherwise not be aware of.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kauriel For This Useful Post: